Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Love Story

Once upon a time there lived a very handsome inanimate object called Thread. Although Thread was quite a catch, he was no use on his own. One day he met a beautiful creation called Fabric and they fell quickly, deeply, head-over-heels in love. Although Thread and Fabric produced many offspring, including their son, Rug, and their twin daughters, Curtain 1 and Curtain 2, the most lovely and wonderful of all of their children was Clothes.

That is the beautiful love story of Thread and Fabric and as we all know it has brought us human beings a lot of joy. To me at least, clothes are an essential part of my life, not only do the keep me un-naked and warm but they also help me express myself in ways words cannot. As an extremely shy and awkward girl, it is nice knowing I can show my fun, inner pizzazz without uttering a single word. Clothes have helped me make a lot of connections with people, both receiving and giving complements about outfits has allowed me to get to know people better and for them to get to know me in return. Clothes have also allowed me to be well known throughout my high school going from "who's she?" to "the girl who won best dressed". Although I don't dress for attention or popularity it is still nice to get a positive reaction from my peers, knowing them and them knowing me as well as sharing a part of my personality that may have previously gone unnoticed. But all in all I dress for me. 

I dress to feel good about myself, to have fun, to express myself, to feel comfortable, to be creative and inspiring. I don't dress simply to "look good", it's not as easy as that, I dress to share something about me about who I am and what I'm feeling, the mood I'm in that day and sometimes how much sleep I got the night before. Style is not as black and white as "emo", "hipster", "prep" and "jock". Some people forget all the wonderful grey in between, all the fun and beauty of the different shades that walk next to us in the halls. And to quote "The Devil Wears Prada", fashion is "greater than art because you live your life in it."

I hope you join me on my journey.

Love,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment